Book Cover – Opinions Wanted!

As I contemplated the idea of self-publishing my novel, I asked myself: how would the book cover look? Well, I decided to hire a talented designer named Chloรซ Keogan to work her magic and create some covers for me, and here are three I’m considering using. But which is best? Which one stands out more? If you have a moment, take a look and let me know the cover you like best.

Merci beaucoup!

38 Comments

1. elisabethm says:

The second ๐Ÿ˜Š

2. Stephen says:

Toss up between the 2nd and 3rd, Iโ€™m going with the 3rd

3. Paul Cullen says:

The second..๐Ÿ˜€

4. Lucy says:

I love the 1st!!

5. CraigH says:

Third ๐Ÿ™‚

6. John Donohoe says:

Definitely the second. A few reasons but primarily how it stands being viewed from over ten feet away. V bold.
    Would love the third but for Mr.Burroughs!!

7. S.J. Coules says:

William S.? What’s the reference?! Thanks for your thoughts, John!

8. ~M says:

I like the 3rd! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• S.J. Coules says:

Thanks for weighing in, M!

• ~M says:

No problem, so very excited for you! Choosing a book cover is the hardest part! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• S.J. Coules says:

Thank you – and it’s actually been really tough narrow it down to these three. I’m leaning towards number 2, but we’ll see!

• ~M says:

Trust your own instincts on this. Youโ€™ll regret it if you donโ€™t. And please me know when itโ€™s published! You can always leave me a link anywhere on my blog, just in case I miss your announcement. I follow so many bloggers that I miss a lot of great posts. Good luck with everything! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• S.J. Coules says:

Thanks so much, M – the support means a lot! I’ll drop you a line when it’s published – eek! I look forward to reading more of your work ๐Ÿ™‚

• ~M says:

Aww, my pleasure… I canโ€™t wait! Is this your first book then? Itโ€™s such an exciting feeling when you hold that first copy in your hands.

• S.J. Coules says:

It’s my first novel, yes. I’m going down the self-publishing road, although I haven’t exhausted the traditional publishing avenue. In fact, I haven’t submitted to many agencies. I may submit to a few more, but the plan is to put it out there this summer. Have you had many works published?

• ~M says:

Thatโ€™s awesome… and yes, I self published my first book in February. Mines a book of poetry. I may be publishing another in June. Depends how motivated I am. Lol… If I can ever help you in any way, just send me an email. Itโ€™s mostly all trial and error. But I think this next time will be easier. Once you do it once, the second time around seems less cumbersome. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• S.J. Coules says:

That’s very kind of you, M, thanks! I may take you up on that offer ๐Ÿ˜‰ How did you feel after publishing it? And you should definitely publish the second one if you have the work ready to go!

• ~M says:

Sounds good.. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I felt relieved afterwards. Like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. To finally have completed a huge personal goal meant so much to me. But I canโ€™t even look at my book at the moment. After reading it through about a million times for editing purposes, I have simply had enough of it. Lol… I actually have 11 more in the works and 2 of them are nearly ready to go. I just need to get off my tush and do it. Iโ€™m sort of procrastinating at the moment. Lol… ๐Ÿ˜‰

• S.J. Coules says:

Oh, and I dabble in poetry, too. Here’s one from last year that got a decent response, if you’re interested in reading it ๐Ÿ™‚

• ~M says:

Oh thatโ€™s great! Iโ€™ll have a look. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Liked by 1 person

9. I think 2. No. 1 is lovely, too, but the color in No. 2 is arresting. I feel like typewriter images are overdone.

• S.J. Coules says:

Thanks, Rebecca! That was my concern about #3, but there was something about it that I loved; a movie-poster quality, I think. 1 & 2 are about neck and neck judging by the comments here and on FB. Appreciate your thoughts.

10. I can see from the comments that my husband and I are going against the flow. We had a discussion and decided we liked the first best. There aren’t many while books out there and we thought it would stand out, especially in print. It does run the risk of disappearing into the background online. #2 was our second favorite. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck with your choice!

• S.J. Coules says:

Interesting. Minimalist designs are getting more and more popular, apparently. It’s a close one between 1 & 2. I’ll have a bit of a headache choosing. Thank you (and your husband!) for contributing to the discussion ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• I think you’re right that it’s between 1 & 2. The typewriter is interesting but it doesn’t tell me anything meaningful about the story, characters, genre, or plot.

• S.J. Coules says:

Yeah, I think the others are more visually arresting, even if they’re a little vague in regards to the story (although they do speak to it; the designer made sure it related to the content). Thanks again for offering your thoughts ๐Ÿ™‚

11. ben rawlins says:

All look great but 2nd one really stood out for me.

12. acflory says:

May I make a suggestion before you decide – get an tiny version of each cover and try to see it as an Amazon buyer might.
    Imho, 1 is the most artistic but 2 will probably be most effective at a small size.

13. rothpoetry says:

the second one! I think you need a beautiful photo of Sadie on the cover! That would give the title a real connection to the human emotion of leaving!
    Dwight